Friday, January 18, 2008

This was the last lesson before the recital on Saturday.

We went over the Battle of the Somme on PCs, then played through Scotland the Brave on pipes. Then Jason said he wanted to go over the competition MSR set without any warm-up. Lee asked if the Jig was still part of that set. I said, "There is no J in MSR, Lee." He laughed and started razzin' me.

After the MSR, which went very well, Jason checked hemping on everybody's drones. Lee hadn't opened his bag for . . . ever!! and it was filled with slime and mold and other unmentionable things and smelled horrendous!! And he had to look in there for the tip of his drone reed which fell off and rolled away somewhere. He never did find the tip, but he was emphatically urged to clean out his bag with lysol ASAP before the creatures took over the world.

I have mixed feelings. I'm going to have to quit the group lessons for 2 reasons: 1) because I just don't have time to do them with my new calling, and 2) because Small Son is starting lessons there and I can't afford both sets of lessons. I'm really going to miss the banter and the extra practicing and coaching. I think I improved a lot during the time I had those lessons.

But Small Son is starting lessons!!! I have this dream where he continues on and becomes a better piper than me. Or that we go together to England and play our gig for Robin McKinley in August 2010. That would be so cool. BUT I don't want to push it on him. He just has to do 2 years of an instrument like the other kids in the family, and he chose this instrument. So we'll see what happens.

No comments: